Isle of Man TT Day 2- Douglas-Ramsey-Castletown via the Mountain TT course and climb number 124…

 And to think I wasn’t going to do a blog because I didn’t think I’d have anything to really write about…🤣 Let’s just say it’s been one of the stranger days of my life, and one of the wet and windiest! With my alarm going off at 7.30 the rattling of the rain and wind on the window meant that the weather forecast looked to be accurate and the morning especially was going to be bleak. With the decision made to not set off until 10 am when it was scheduled to calm down somewhat I spent the time over breakfast (which wasn’t bad considering how poor tea had been last night) re-adjusting the route and taking the long way to Peel out so I could get it down to a manageable 70 miles.

With only me to look after and not a hostage to the usual cocking about from my fellow partners in crime, I was all packed and ready for the off at just gone 9.30. Retracing the steps I’d taken while I was out on my walk last night, it was along the prom then the steep climb out from the sea front to the start of the mountain course at the grandstand and some obligatory photos by the winners enclosure! With Kieth Huewen commentary running through my head it was down Bray Hill at about 1/10th of 160 mph, over Ago’s Leap and out of Douglas. It was absolutely bucketing down and 4 miles in I was soaked through all my clothing but it wasn’t that cold and with the course being gently undulating and the wind behind me, I was getting a wiggle on and it wasn’t that bad.





Continuing the internal commentary it was through Union Mills, Ballacraine and then the first real climb up through Glen Helen and into a really strong crosswind, not helped by the full size frame bag acting as a big sail! It was lovely this bit, pretty flat after the climb and the rain had eased. Just as I got to the famous Ballaugh Bridge, the actual sun, actually came out! Through Quarry bends and Sulby and by 12 I was pulling into the Co-Op car park in Ramsey for a quick drink and a well earned bit of cake. I was slowly drying out and was making good time, but knew I would now be riding into the 30mph headwind up the Ramsey hairpin and onto the Snaefell mountain climb. Soon as I was past the hairpin, the weather closed in again and the tough 8 mile climb from sea level to 1400 feet started. Obviously it wasn’t great, but I’ve been out in far, far worse and I kept up a good constant rhythm up through the steeper first 4 miles or so. 





To be crystal clear I had 2 lights on the back, a 1200 lumin front light, had bright orange jacket on, and hi viz overshoes and gloves. Although visibility wasn’t amazing it was about 200 yards. Suddenly out of the blue a police van pulled up along side and scared the shit out of me by giving it the full blues and 2’s. He opened his window and told me he wanted to speak to me and to pull in at the Bungalow about 1/2 mile ahead. I told him I wasn’t doing anything wrong and he said they’d had “a load of complaints” from car drivers that a cyclist was riding up the mountain in all black and couldn’t be seen and he needed me to pull in to the lay-by at the Bungalow so I did. When he had stopped the first thing he did was ask me my name and I told him to bugger off, I wasn’t giving him my name as I was doing nothing wrong. He repeated the complaints of the motorists, at which point I pointed to my hi viz clothes, the lights and then asked him what I was doing wrong. He confirmed I wasn’t doing anything wrong at which point I told him I was going to carry on and left him in the lay-by.





5 mins later, he came up behind me scaring the shit out of me with the blue and 2’s again, but I ignored him and carried on. He then pulled round me and braked me to a halt. He then told me his Sargent had told him I had to put my bike in the van as it was too dangerous and they would drive me back to Douglas. It’s here I slightly lost my shit. Those of you that know me well know how I take being told what to do by those in authority…😁 I told him he’d have to arrest me to get me into the van. He then told me he wasn’t going to arrest me as I hadn’t done anything wrong! But he’d need to speak to his Sargent for advice…He then phoned his Sargent who wouldn’t speak to me, but then got me to sign something to say I was carrying on at my own risk (!) at which point I asked him does that mean if a car ploughs into me I’d would be my fault?! He also said that he was filming it, and that’s when I turned my phone on Not that you can hear much for the wind!) told him this was all bollocks and informed him that the police are going to lose their mind when they find out what dangerous thing happens on this road in June & July every year…After now becoming piss wet through and freezing I told him I was carrying on so if he kindly would leave me alone…to be fair I had some sympathy with the PC, he was just doing what he was being told and he did seem uncomfortable, it’s his Sargent that will get the complaint when I’m back home (yes I did get both their names and badges…) Anyway the day was now a ruined and I was absolutely fuming, so telling my self to calm down, I decided to bin the idea of doing the Bungalow climb as well, and cruised down the other side of the mountain and back to Douglas for a cup of coffee and some soup to try and get some warmth back into my hands and feet.





Still fuming I posted the video of me and the copper on Twitter…big mistake! If you want to see a bin fire check out my twitter feed @chrissyglenc…all this was unbeknown to me as I decided I’d had enough for today and I’d just cruise down the old Castletown road the 13 miles to the pub I’m staying at tonight. It had stopped raining hard and it was a quiet lumpy B road despite a bit of cramp due to the wet clothes, it was pretty relaxing and by the time I’d got the Castletown I’d cheered myself up, and Castletown was really pretty even with the wind whipping round the long shoreline and the waves crashing into the sea wall. Quick photo in front of the eponymous Castle, and time to find the pub and try and get warm and dry!

I then glanced a look at my phone…😱 I’ve turned off my notifications as it’s full of arseholes with flags and football teams and motorbikes in their bio’s. Look the Highway Code is a hierarchy with the most vulnerable at the bottom. I had every right to be on that road. If drivers couldn’t see me ( which of course they could other wise how did they see me to report me?!) they should hand their licences in. The fact that the police then stopped me 3 FUCKING TIMES and told me basically to get off the road shows all you need to know about the car centric culture in this country. What I was doing was making them slow down for 30 seconds until it was safe to pass.

Anyway, I had a lovely 5 mile walk round Castletown to stretch my legs (without my phone!) and a lovely tea. My room is lovely and warm and my clothes and shoes are all dry and I’m meant to be on holiday! I’ll decide wether I want to go back and do the other 2 climbs tomorrow or just stay on the coast roads as I feel like I’ll have a target on my back if I go up there again! 





Anyway, please remember to give a cyclist room, especially when conditions are bad. Just wait a bit and you’ll get past safely and I’ll get home to my beautiful wife and kids. 👊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

John Muir Way - Day 1 Helensburgh to Strathblane

John Muir Way - Day 2 - Strathblane to Edinburgh

John Muir Way Day 3 - Edinburgh - Dunbar